09 January 2010

Chinatown WIN!

I needed my hair done in the worst way (see my grey gardens post below!) and I still have not found a stylist in NYC. I've been to a few different salons, each recommended by friends, but I'm never happy with the results (or the cost!). The last time I had PARTIAL highlights and a 1 inch trim and the bill ended up being $380 PLUS TIP!!! I was so angry about it I decided it was worth driving back to Philly to go see MY hair guy for the past 4 yrs, Ennio; the owner of ENNIO SALON. He is simply amazing and SO affordable.

So, I called Ennio: BOOKED. Nothing available until the end of the month. And as you all could see, this grey hair could NOT be ignored for another month!!

I did some research and heard whisperings about this little hair salon in a back alley in Chinatown. I called and made an appointment to check it out. Hey, worse case scenario I figured I'd just cover my grey roots until I can get in with my own guy.

This place is so deep in the heart of Chinatown that I called upon my trusty iPhone MANY times to keep checking the maps. I finally found it: 12A Pell St, Chinatown Beauty & Styling House.







I got seated right away, pointed at a swatch book to show what I wanted, and then read my book as the non-English speaking stylist went at it with my mop of hair. She did a base color to fill my white and grey roots, then did a full set if highlights. Her technique was so precise and she worked fast but very professionally. No chit chat, which is great, because I really prefer just relaxing while I have my hair done.

After taking the foils out, she gave me the best rinse and shampoo. EVER! She massaged my scalp and neck for what seemed like 20 minutes! I almost fell asleep! Wow!

To blow dry/straighten, two ladies worked on my hair simultaneously. They flat ironed and the. Trimmed about an inch off the bottom, she even cut in some pieces to take the bulk down. Awesome job, and what was my total? $120! Sweet!

Here's the finished look!









-- Posted From My iPhone

4 comments:

  1. Sleek. I'm so glad that you found someone a little more... local. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe...if there's one thing Chinese understand (surprisingly), it's dying hair :) I had my hair done several times by guys with purple, red, blue, green...all kinds of hair

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great! And a really good NY price. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! I like it! And great price! And I have heard of the shampoos they give...I guess over in China (some of my clients have gone there for study abroad trips...we have two colleges in our town so I have lots of clientele from the colleges...anyway...) they are known for their long shampoos and some of my clients just go in there to get their hair washed. :) All that to say...I like your hair :) Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...