29 September 2010

Eat healthily...cheapily!

I was having a discussion while watching the Biggest Loser, about my theory of why the American obesity rate has become epidemic: money. I really believe that it comes down to money. Junk food is cheap. If you can get a Taco Bell taco for 79 cents, or ½ a cucumber for that same price, which are people going to choose? A package of Pop-Tarts is 99 cents on sale at the grocery store near my apt- and one avocado is $1.50? Let’s face it, it can be really expensive to eat healthy raw and whole foods, and if you’re eating organic, the price escalates even further. Parents may have the education to know that this food is not healthy for their kids, but they might not have the budget to be able to prepare the wholesome meals their bodies need at a young age.

That’s why I love this article by Divine Caroline: The 20 healthiest foods for under $1. Personally, my favorite cheap healthy foods are apples and frozen vegetables. How easy is it to steam a bag of frozen veggies, top with some fresh herbs and olive oil and dinner is DONE! Hey, readers- what is your favorite CHEAP healthy food? 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...