02 September 2009

September

Hellooooooooo, September! Wow, that’s just crazy. I feel like every month is speeding up faster and faster! This morning, I seriously considered wearing my tall leather boots, but my my sandals won out on the battle. Hey, it’s a high of 78F in NYC today, so I need to enjoy this warm weather while it’s still here! There will be plenty of time for boots and sweaters, I’m sure. (depressing!) I feel like it’s been a while since I’ve actually journaled about what’s been going on- that’s because we’ve been trying to spend as much time outside enjoying NYC as we can before cold weather sets in. We’ve had lots of guests and a lot of fun showing people around. We’re also starting to apartment hunt again, as our lease is up in November and we are absolutely ready to move. We’ve been in our current apartment for 3 years (since our first day in NYC!) and it’s a beautiful apartment in an amazing neighborhood, but we’re honestly just paying way too much. Since the economy crashed in Nov. 08, we’ve noticed that all the rents in Manhattan have seemed to drop. That’s great incentive to move, since our current landlord is desperate to keep us locked in at the highest market pricepoint for our duplex. How do we know we’re paying too much for our apartment? Because we can get an apartment TWICE the size of ours, brand new, for about a GRAND less than what we pay now. Depressing! Also, we’ve noticed that the people moving into our building now are mostly STUDENTS, which hey- I don’t mind the noise and parties and stuff, but it’s the inconsiderate behavior that’s just frustrating me. We pay WAY too much to have to deal with that nonsense. The washer/dryer in the laundry room is constantly jammed or broken, or I have to run a cycle BEFORE I put my clothes in because it’s so nasty, dirty, and full of cat or dog hair (sick!) The walls in the hallway are scraped up and gross looking because people don’t take care when they’re moving their stuff in. The front (locked) security doors are constantly being propped OPEN for their friends to come in, which makes me nervous because OUR apartment is on the front of the building, and I don’t especially like the thought of theifs or vagrants coming in and making a home for themselves overnight in front of our doorway. On top of it all, the weather is getting so nice and cool that we’d LOVE to have our windows open for a nice fall breeze in the apartment, but we’re forced to keep the windows shut and the AC unit on all the time because of people SMOKING directly outside our windows! Can you sense my frustration? And I’m sure that if you knew how much we pay in rent every month (let’s just say it’s in the multiple thousands…) you’d be frustrated too!

So yeah, we’re excited to move.

This weekend we’re taking a STAYcation for labour day weekend. Honestly, the traffic in this area over labour day is just not worth traveling for. Everyone goes to the beach or the hamptons for one last weekend to enjoy the summer, and it is an absolute NIGHTMARE trying to drive anywhere. We plan on walking around Manhattan, getting brunch and sitting at some outdoor café’s over coffee. Oh, and sleeping in. That’s a must.

Hope you all enjoyed your summer! I’m looking forward to FALL!

1 comment:

  1. I'll be praying your apartment hunting is successful! I bet New York is beautiful in the Fall. I still have my heart set on visiting you there sometime!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...