14 April 2008

Egg whites

I totally got ripped off this morning! RIDICULOUS! I stopped at Europa Café on 5th ave and 43rd street on the way to work to get breakfast. Normally, me and my coworker take turns getting omelets: she buys one day, and I buy the next. Today, though I just wanted egg whites. Healthy, delicious and nutritious! So I order 3 egg whites PLAIN, no toast no potatoes, no cheese. No bacon, ham, spinach, peppers…you get the point. The line chef prepares and then hands it to me, and I step down to the cashier to pay.

Now here’s the thing about NYC deli’s- sometimes I think they just make up the price right on the spot. She rings it up and says, “$4.60!” WHAT?!! So I get in a little bit of an argument, because I explain that it’s JUST egg whites. $4.60 is the price that I normally pay for an OMELET, with cheese, spinach, broccoli, tomatoes, onions, AND toast! I realized quickly that this debate was going nowhere because this lady seemed to have the IQ of a RAISIN, so I just handed over my cash, feeling like I’d just gotten scammed, and walked out. The lady beside me was in shock too, and she said to me, “I can’t believe they would charge that! That’s ridiculous!”

At least I know I’m not the only one who thinks it’s crazy. GRRRR!!! I’m in the wrong business if I can be selling egg whites for $1.50 EACH! I could make $18 a carton that way!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...