19 May 2009

The American I-dull showdown

Michelle (also an AI viewer) asked for me to elaborate on my opinion of Adam vs. Kris for the final two, so here it goes…

Adam is the favorite to win for many reasons: he’s memorable, he’s original, and he’s different than the previous Idol winners. From the hair to the makeup, to the crazy striped tight leggings, he’s a showman. He’s a performer. But that’s the part that irks me. He seems like a Saturday night live character- too unreal to be believable. He doesn’t sing a song without screeching (and always a power screech at the end) and the judges will let him flounder and waver on his pitch without EVER giving him any negative comments whatsoever.

I can understand if someone who is not a musician hears him, they might think he has an “unbelievable range” and sings so amazing, but if you ARE a singer and musician (like me!) you KNOW that it’s easier to screech a high note than to SING it with control. I’m not impressed by his eye makeup and his “swagger” as they say. I’m not even impressed by his clothes (he wears more chains than Mr. T) and I’m certainly not sold on his narrow glares to the camera and melancholy ballads. At first, his songs sounded original, but now, if you played them back to back, they would all sound like one screechingly horrible continuous song of emotional theatrics and power shrieks. He’s not a 1 trick pony, he’s a TWO trick pony; he can sing slow and overly affecting or he can screech.

Kris should win not only because he’s a money maker (imagine the record sales!) but he is a composer, pianist, guitarist, and singer all in one. His style is so understated that it’s adorable. It’s a complete opposite of the “in your face” approach of Adam. And I, for one, value sincerity over fabricated theatrics. He’s connected to the songs he sings. He’s bashful but he knows he can turn it out. The judges are overly critical because they want Adam to win (hey, Simon picked Adam out as the winner, and he’ll be damned if he’s WRONG on this one…he’s got to prove he can pick a star!)

Plus, the whole Katy Perry flashing “ADAM LAMBERT” across her back before her performance just REALLY hit a nerve with me. That’s unfortunate, and unfair. The guest talent shouldn’t be able to endorse or promote one of the contestants. For that matter, neither should the judges, yet here goes Simon yacking to OPRAH on her show that Adam will win.

Adam belongs in musical theatre. He’s not that unique as far as broadway actors go…I’ve seen plenty of shows here in NYC where multiple actors/singers on broadway have produced the exact same type of performance as Adam. It’s staged. It’s dramatic. And here’s my final point: could you listen to an entire CD of 12 songs in a row by Adam, or by Kris? Kris is way more diverse, and doesn’t depend on hijinx to attract an audience: he just does what he does WELL. True. And not muddled with flash and jazz hands. Kris could (and SHOULD) bring an upset and come out as the dark horse in the competition. He's gonna WIN!

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you Carmin. I have only watched a handful of episodes but have been really impressed with Kris.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I agree Carmin (just said same thing on one of your other comments). I'd rather listen to a Kris album than an Adam album. And yep, you are right, the 2 trick pony think is getting old and predictable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree! Adam annoys me with his screeching and over-the-top dramatics. I have not voted once this season: until last night. 15 times for Kris! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your comments about how Kris' record could be way better than Adam's. I also felt awkward with the Katy-Perry-cape-endorsement. However, I've never been a fan of Kris. He's always seemed so boring to me. If I had my way, Alison would be the winner, but alas, she was voted off a few weeks ago. I think that last night's performance of "Ain't No Sunshine" opened my eyes and showed me that Kris DOES have talent and deserves to be in the finale. At this point, I like both for different reasons and no matter who wins tonight, I believe that they both will have great careers ahead of them. BUT- I know that Kris' music will be played on my radio station, not Adam's - because Adam is meant for theater and Kris is a recording artist. There's a difference - and I think that's what counts in the end.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...