02 March 2009

Calorie Counting

A law was passed last year in NYC that requires all restaurants or food service establishments that have 15 or more locations nationwide post the CALORIES for every menu item in plain view of the customer. For example, if you go to McDonalds in NYC, you'll see the calories posted on the menu in large font, right beside the price of the item.


The idea is, that if the consumer is more aware of how many calories they're consuming, they'll re-consider their food choice for a lower-calorie, more healthy item.


You know what I've found? It's TRUE! I was walking in Rockefeller Center to the subway, and the smell of Cinna-Bon drifted over to me. I walked over to the Cinna-Bon restaurant, and looked at the menu to decide what I wanted. Then, when I saw that a CinnaBon bun has 1100 CALORIES and 56 GRAMS OF FAT I turned on my heels and kept walking! That changed my mind in a second!


Can you imagine?! 1100 calories for a little snack while I'm walking to the subway?!


It's also helpful at Starbucks: now that I see that some of the drinks can be up to 500 calories, I've switched to drinking just regular coffe with Equal and soy milk. It's only $2.90 and it's less than 100 calories. This morning, at starbucks, I snapped a picture of the donuts as I was standing next to the case:


Don't you think that if YOUR town posted the calories, it would be helpful? I think this should be a nationwide law, not just NYC! What do YOU think? Would you like to see the calories up front before you order?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...