02 June 2009

Aveda Hair Care

I’m sure my friends have noticed that in the past few years, I’ve pretty much abandoned my hair straightener, and as my hair’s gotten longer, I’ve just let it dry to it’s natural wave and curl. A lot of people have asked me what I use in my hair, and I thought I’d blog about it to share my new secret hair arsenal of products.

I’m a HUGE product junkie- makeup, lotion, sunscreen, hair care products, EVERYTHING. The people at MAC, Saks’, and Sephora basically know me by name! My husband is constantly begging me to stop collecting so many products, but I have to buy it because I want to “try it” and then when it ends up not working like I want it to, it goes to the product graveyard in my makeup closet.

I have a friend who SWEARS by OUIDAD products for wavy or curly hair. At http://www.ouidad.com/, it’s very convincing! I ordered the travel set so that I could try it for myself…but that ended up in the graveyard too. Hey, for some people, maybe it does work, but personally, I HATE “crunchy” curls that are hard and, well…CRUNCHY! Plus, smell is a big factor for me, and quite frankly, Ouidad smells terrible!

I recommend AVEDA products. I’m very impressed with their line for curly hair. First, I start with the Be Curly Shampoo , just massaging into the scalp so that I don’t tangle all my curls and make knots. Also, with curly/wavy hair, the less you rub it the better because the friction will cause the shaft to lift up and create major FRIZZ (the F-word, in my book!) Frizz is bad. Very bad. Also, Shampoo’s job is to remove dirt and buildup, and clean the scalp. I try not to run it through the ends of my hair, because it will dry out the ends and take out the curl.


Next, I rinse (very very well) and gently wring out my hair until it doesn’t drip anymore. I tousle it a bit and then apply the Be Curly conditioner. With my fingers, I run it through the hair all over by moving my hand like I’m playing the keys on a piano. This is the best way I can describe it! I want to keep the hair in 2-3 cm pieces so that it gets springy curls. If you pull apart every strand (or WORSE, comb through the conditioner with a wide tooth comb!) the curls don’t have any bounce.

Next, I rinse with my head upside down and gently squeeze the hair (DON’T RUB!) to get the conditioner out. With a towel, I blot the hair and squeeze it a bit to dry. After this, I leave it alone. No touching, no picking, no drying, nothing. It takes hours to completely dry, but it’s best for my hair to just stay long and down while it’s drying. When it’s almost dry, I take the Be Curly Curl Enhancer product (just a quarter size drop) and work it through using the “piano fingers” again.


When the hair is completely dry, I smooth a tiny bit of the Be Curly Curl Control over the top of the hair to calm down any extra frizz, and give it some shine. There you have it!

Another great Aveda product that me and my husband both love is the Rosemary Mint Body Wash. The smell is unbelievable and it has a cool minty refreshing feeling. I buy the body wash AND the soap bar because my husband uses the body wash and I use the Rosemary Mint Bar
so we don’t fight over who uses it all up!

One other thing I’ve noticed helps cut out the frizz is that I’ve started sleeping with a satin pillowcase on my pillow. It helps keep my hair from getting tangled, AND it’s supposed to save your skin from sleep wrinkles if you sleep on your stomach, like I do.

There you have it! A little daily dose of beauty from yours truly!

2 comments:

  1. My assistant has VERY curly hair and lives for Aveda Aloe Flax Seed spray gel. You should try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Carmen

    First of all I want to thank you for coming over to my blog and giving me so many encouraging words over this past year...it means so much! I appreciate all your comments! And I do remember you from IWU...I think it's so fun to see where everyone has ended up! Now on to hair products:) My favorite subject:) I too have a grave yard of products in my bathroom, but since I do hair for a living I can tell my husband that it's for research that I have them all:) I just thought I'd pass along two other hair products for you in case you ever need to switch it up because hair can get immune to some products and not work as well. What I have found that works great is the Scruples White Tea line (it smells wonderful!). Their shampoo is sulfate free which is good 'cause it won't dry out your hair and they have a intense conditioner plus a daily conditioner on days that you don't need as much. But what they have for after the shower is the best. It's called Miracle Foam and it looks like a mousse but it's just a leave in conditioner that is great...not a lot of hold but a little...but it won't make your hair crunchy! They also have a serum that will take out any frizz (dare I say the f word) that you might have. Well I just thought I'd pass that on...if you ever want to try it but can't find it in NYC let me know...I have some...I loved your post!

    ~Ali (Watts) Feldman

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...