11 September 2007

City that never sleeps... is quiet

Tuesday, Sept. 11.

Often, when people hear that I live in New York City, they ask, "are you ever nervous or worried because of what happened?" No one really wants to say what that thing that happened is. If you want a simple answer, yes. But I don't think that has anything to do with living in Manhattan. Even before I moved here, I thought about it, and felt nervous about it. It's the simplest things that remind me that 9.11.01 was just like any other day.
I remember when I found out: I was living in Indiana and I was beginning my junior year at university. I woke up to hear my phone ringing. It was my best friend Kristi. "Go turn on the TV", that's the first thing she said. Of course, it didn't matter what channel, because it was everywhere. The first tower had just been hit, and watching it on tv felt like watching a movie. It couldn't be happening. I watched as I talked to her on the phone, and we saw the second plane hit...as it happened. That's what will forever be different about this event- it was broadcast all over the world, live. I remember that the weather that day was the most sunny day. It was bright and sunny and clear, but when I sky on TV, that sky was grey. I remember thinking, "My sky should be grey too. Everyone's sky should be grey."

This is the first year I've lived and worked in NYC over 9/11, and I wondered what the atmosphere would be like. It was quiet. Really quiet. The rain came down hard and fast and the sky was dark all day. When I walked to the subway this morning, I was thinking that this was the very same thing that all those people were doing too. Probably riding on the very same train that I am standing in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...