24 August 2007

Very A-PEELing!



I first read about Joe Ades, known in NYC as the "carrot/potato peeler salesman" in an issue of Vanity Fair magazine last year. When we moved to New York, I set out to see this man that I'd read about for myself. He truly is a legend. At 72 years old, this man sits out at various locations every day in NYC and sells these vegetable peelers, which actually are really good peelers. His charm, his cockney accent, and impeccable suits make him an instant standout. In the article I read, he said that his trick is to always sit LOW on the ground, because it creates a crowd and no one can see what everyone is standing around looking at, so they press in closer and it generates more curiosity. The Vanity Fair article revealed that this man is a millionnaire many times over, and no one ever believes him when he tells them he's made his fortune peddling potato peelers!



In December, I finally saw him on 5th Avenue, near my office. Of course, I bought a peeler! When I bought it, he said, "Just one? What about for your friends?" "No thanks," I said, smiling. "Awww," he said loudly with a grin, "Ladies and Gentlemen, a sad sad sight indeed- this lovely young thing doesn't have any friends! What are we to do? Someone, buy her a potato peeler to cheer her up, eh?" (He's good, right?)



I found this video on YouTube, but I shot these pictures myself last week on my lunch break. He had set up his "shop" right outside the entrance to my building on 5th Ave. It cheers me each time I see him around Manhattan. If you come to NYC, make sure you look for Joe... and for goodness' sakes, BUY A FREAKIN' PEELER, TOO!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...