08 August 2007

Wet One!

We had some pretty fierce weather hit NYC this morning. By some miracle, I wasn’t affected at all! The weather service thinks it might have been a TORNADO- isn’t that weird? What is this, Kansas? At around 5am, the storm woke me up and the dogs were barking. Lucky for me, our bedroom is actually located in the basement (downstairs) of our apartment, so I’m sure all our neighbors in the building would be asking to hide out with us.

The real mess was the NYC transit system. Every day, about 1.9 million people commute to work via subway, and with this storm, every train line was shut down. Water poured in and flooded the tracks, so the trains weren’t running. Funny thing is, I made it to work EARLY! I got on the 1 train (local) at 72nd street, and got off at my usual stop, 42nd street/Times Square. When the train stopped at Times Square, they evacuated everyone and police closed off the entrances and wouldn’t let anyone into the subway stations. From that point on, every subway line across Manhattan was closed. My co-worker walked from 125th street in the Bronx down to our office on 45th. That’s 8 miles! The sidewalks were packed, people were fighting for cabs and squeezing onto overcrowded buses. I sure was lucky, cause I just walked upstairs and down the street to my office!

Subways are back on and running, so hopefully I’ll be home in time for Access Hollywood :)

Check out the story here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20177120/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...