31 August 2007

Hero

This is the blog I've been begging to write: BRAD'S HOME! I scanned the headlines every day, every hour online, looking for news about the Canadian troops. Whenever I heard that a soldier was killed or injured, my heart fell right into my stomach...Dear God, please don't let it be Brad. Each time I ate a meal at a restaurant, I thought of Brad eating his military freeze dried chemicals that they call "food", under a tent with blowing sand. When I complained about the heat or the humidity on a hot summer day, my mind would flash to Brad, wearing layers of gear, armour, and a heavy helmet while the desert heat forced sweat to pour down his face and into his eyes. I saw the guns in pictures and on TV, but I can't imagine how it feels to carry one... or to use one in defense. Life went on as usual, and I enjoyed the luxury of take-out, tv, and hot showers on a daily basis. I can't imagine the feeling that Brad felt as he looked out the window of the military plane this morning, as they descended into Canada. The arial view of massive forests of green trees with their branches outstreched; the first to welcome them home with open arms. I'm sure even breathing the air feels exhilerating... free air. Freedom.

We really have no idea, do we? Freedom is never free. And as much as I want every troop brought home, and as much as I oppose the war, I will always be grateful for every man and woman who fought and gave everything to make sure that the bad guys never win. Living in New York City, the very spot where 6 years ago, terrorists fought to take our freedom, makes me even more thankful. NYC is the perfect example of resiliance and determination-this city refuses to bow and refuses to move.

Brad, how can I ever say thank you? It was always my job as your big sister to take care of you, and look out for your safety, but you risked your life for me and millions of strangers who will never even know your name. There's gotta be a better word than "hero" for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...