24 October 2008

NY Cares

Last night, Elizabeth and I met at the Kateri House on West 87th street to volunteer with their monthly cocktail party. Kateri House is a home for the elderly and has 500 residents ranging in ages from 72-105!


We arrived at 6:30, and helped set up, bring residents into the recreation room, and talk to the residents. The theme of the event was "Oktoberfest", and we served german sausage and apple dumplings. The residents were most excited that we even served BEER (it was non-alcoholic, but I doubt that they knew!) There was a band playing german polkas and waltzes, and Elizabeth and I tried to get the crowd going by clapping and doing some polka dances. LOL


I told Dan when I got home not to be jealous, but I think I may have made a few boyfriends! One gentlemen told me, "Next time, wear a SHORTER SKIRT!" and he winked! Ha ha, it was cute, and I love to play along- it makes them feel young again to have a young girl pay attention to them!


I didn't take any pictures during the event, because I didn't know what their privacy rules were, and I didn't want to upset anyone by taking pictures if they didn't want to. But, I did make Elizabeth pose outside the elevators for this picture beside a frame of some of the residents' photos.


It was a great experience, and we're looking forward to coming back!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...