09 December 2008

Adoring Car-MHYN!

Check out the new MAC cosmetics campaign: Adoring CARMINE! See, folks- CARMINE is a color of RED. My cousins on my mom's side have red curly hair, and my mom says she wished that she had a baby with red hair. When I was born, she picked the name CARMINE because of my strawberry red hair. Growing up in Canada, I NEVER had anyone mispronounce my name- just like the name Jasmine or Katherine, no one said "Carm-INE!"

Fast forward 27 years, and here I am living in NY. Everyone says Carm-INE! It's so frustrating, that I decided to drop the "e" from the end, so people will stop butchering it. My friends know it's Carmine, but otherwise, I spell it Carmin.

This MAC ad is a lovely example of the REAL word, and gives me one more opportunity to prove that it's NOT pronounced Carm-INE. I know that italians say that, but it's WRONG. Check out the dictionary definition by clicking HERE. Read the pronounciation. It even has an audio pronounciation, which clearly says Car-myhn. It couldn't be clearer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...