18 July 2007

Explosion in Midtown Manhattan











Just wanted to post a note that Dan and I are ok, and we weren't hurt in the midtown explosion near Grand Central Station today. You can check out the news coverage at http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=local&id=5489428








Dan was coming out of the subway at Grand Central when it happened, and he was on his way to meet me at my office after work. As he came up out of the subway, he said it was pretty scary because no one knew what the explosion was, and everyone was scared and screaming. People were running, and soot was falling all over the place. They evacuated Grand Central, and the buildings around. I was in my office on the 34th floor, 3 blocks away, and I heard sirens screaming, and looked out the window to see smoke everywhere and people pouring out onto the streets and sidewalks everywhere. I went online to find out what was going on, and then I got worried because I knew Dan was coming through Grand Central at the time that it happened. When I got downstairs to meet Dan, he had soot and dirt powdered all over his clothes.








The mood wasn't exactly panic, it was more of concern- and people kept coming up to us and asking if we knew what was going on and what happened. It took a while to get home, because of the crowds and the streets being blocked off. People were gathered in Times Square to find out what was going on by watching the huge tv news screens everywhere. It was pretty surreal to see all the smoke on the screens, and then look down the street, and see the actual event.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...