20 July 2007

Headed for a BOOT

We just got 2 parking tickets in less than 20 minutes. Add this to the parking ticket that we got in December, and we're just about due for a boot on the car. As if I didn't need to be reminded that having a car in Manhattan is just about the dumbest thing you can do to yourself. We went and got our car from Philadelphia (see my road rage milkshake previous posting )and drove up to Canada. Since we plan on leaving NYC a couple more times this summer for weekend trips, we decided to bring the car back and park it on our street. Monthly parking can cost upwards of $800, so we were excited to find a free spot right in front of our building. Problem is, they clean the streets 4 times a week, and you have to keep moving your car from one side to the other every day. I thought I found a good parking space NEAR a hydrant, but clearly far enough away that it wouldn't be in the no parking zone. This was confirmed when I got home from work the next day, and didn't see an orange ticket on my windshield. I was going to move the car right away, but Dan said, "Honey, I'll move it in the morning, I'm going in late to work."

What a sweetheart! Uh, well... read on...

The next morning when I left for work, still no ticket. When DAN went out to move the car... TICKET. $150 bones. URRGHHH! Dan moves the car and calls me to tell me the bad news. Then he says, "the sweeper already went by, so it's ok to park there now, right?" "NO," I said. You can't park between 9 and 10:30, the sign clearly says. It doesn't matter if the sweeper went by or not. Dan didn't listen, left the car, and went inside to get his briefcase for work. When he walked out just MINUTES later, there was a pretty orange sticker AGAIN on the car. Those jerks are all OVER it!

(We made a reservation for monthly parking at a garage.) I'd rather give my money away to a bum with a cardboard sign than to the CITY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...