23 September 2008

NY Cares

Last night, my friend Elizabeth and I went to an orientation class for New York Cares, a volunteer organization. I’ve been wanting to get involved with volunteering in the city for a long time, and this organization has really created a system that WORKS! More than 36,000 people volunteer every year through this organization! Isn’t that incredible?! I love New York, and it’s time for me to connect and give BACK to the city that gives me so much!

Now that we’ve completed the registration and orientation, we’re anxious to start signing up for projects. We’ll be doing things like delivering meals to seniors, visiting hospitals with sick children, painting schools and playgrounds, helping serve food in soup kitchens, and taking kids who are living in homeless shelters for a day at the Bronx Zoo! Everything is done in groups of 12 volunteers, and most of the projects will be in inner-city locations. I’ll be sure to update you and post pictures on my blog- check out the website at www.nycares.org!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...