11 September 2008

"Conscious that something's missing"

I read this beautiful article in the NY Times this morning, about 9/11 and the lingering loss that New Yorkers feel. I love the quote about the skyline, "I still think it's the most beautiful city view there is. But whenever I look over there, I'm still conscious that something's missing."

I think that's maybe the point of remembering 9/11. To move on, to grow as a nation, to enjoy freedom, but to be always conscious that something's missing.

I rode the subway with Dan this morning, just like so many unsuspecting people started out their day 7 years ago on this date in NYC. But when we said goodbye and changed trains- we squeezed hands, gave an extra kiss, and said "I Love You."

You just never know.

I was the first to arrive at my office, and when I stepped off the elevator on the 34th floor, it was dark, quiet, and all the lights were off. It felt really wierd to be alone in a dark office on the top floor of a skyscraper on the anniversary of 9/11. I always think that on that day, everyone arrived at work completely normal: just another day at the office. Logged onto their computers, checked their email, went to the watercooler- just like I do every morning.

What I've learned from 9/11 is to always live in the moment, say "I love you" more than necessary, forgive, and never take freedom for granted.

What lessons have you learned from 9/11?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...