06 January 2009

Canadian Christmas Crackers (nice alliteration, eh?)




I've been showing my Christmas pictures from Montreal around a bit ( don't worry, I'll get them posted on our Carmine & Dan blog soon!) Anyways, I've gotten a lot of interest about these Christmas Crackers and the Crowns on our heads. Here's the deal-e-o...

I believe it's a British thing as well- we buy these "crackers" or poppers, and place them around the table for Christmas dinner. Everyone crosses their arms in front of them, and grabs hold of one end of their cracker and the end of their neighbors, forming a big chain of crossed arms and crackers. On the count of 3, you PULL really hard on each end of the crackers, until they POP! There are little firecrackers inside them that make a loud bang, and they split open. Inside, there's a paper crown, which you put on your head for the duration of the meal, a joke (which we take turns reading around the table) and a PRIZE! My prize this year was a teeny tiny deck of cards. Dan got a little picture frame. Some of the other prizes were keychains, little toy cars, etc.

Due to the interest, I've now gotten requests to buy these the next time we're in Canada, and bring them back to the U.S. for some friends. I like to bring them to Dan's family Christmas in PA- they've embraced the tradition as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...