26 June 2008

the WEIGHting game

Hello and welcome to another day of my torture. This is it- the home stretch... I CAN DO THIS! It's definitely the darkest before sunrise: this is the hardest day yet. Yesterday's workout was fueled only by my brain, and my iron will to get through it without A) passing out and B) throwing up. I succeeded in avoiding both (YES!) We started off with 5 minutes on the stairMONSTER, and after that, I high-fived my trainer and said, "whew! That was a great workout! Ok, see ya tomorrow!" He was like, "ha ha- that was just the warm up, now lets go to the weights!"

We did lower weights with high reps (I told him maybe we should switch to lifting juice boxes at one point) I was honestly THAT weak! It's funny, because you realize that when bodybuilders and even fitness models in magazines are photographed looking so ripped, they're actually at their WEAKEST, physically. Today, I'm allowed 2 cups of water (or any liquid, for that matter) for the whole DAY! Yeah, it really sucks. I woke up in the middle of the night because I was so thirsty! And doing an intense workout with no water is NOT fun!

Today I'm eating 6 small meals of asparagus and beef, every 3 hours. There ARE 2 bonuses today: 1) I DON'T have to do cardio OR weights, and 2)I get to drink 1/2 glass of red wine tonight before bed. This is yet ANOTHER way to dehydrate your body even further, because red wine dehydrates you (and will probably make me drunk on 2 sips because I haven't had a single drink since I started training back in January!) This, my friends, is true discipline.

I find myself craving ONE thing in particular, and it's so bad that I can't get it out of my head for a single second: an APPLE. The shiny glistening skin of a cold, crisp apple, and the way it snaps under your teeth when you bite in. The juices fill your mouth and roll down your chin, and the combination of sweet and tart makes your tastebuds dance with excitement for each coming bite. I can't WAIT to eat an apple! I haven't had FRUIT, let alone apples, in over a month!

I am a CHAMPION, a WARRIOR! YES! And you know what? I'm really REALLY proud of myself! I don't know what my goals were, starting out back in January. I wanted to feel good and look good, and learn how to make my body perform at the maximum level. Looking back on what I WAS, and what I am now, it's really overwhelming to see the difference. Even just MENTALLY, I'm so much stronger. I've learned that whether you think you'll fail or you think you'll succeed, you're right either way. If I tell myself I can't lift a heavy weight, or do a certain exercise... then my body responds to that negative self-talk, and I really CAN'T!

I remember when I first started working with my trainer, and I would start to get this anxious feeling in my stomach as the clock got closer and closer to 6pm. I was nervous that I would fail, or nervous that he would push me too hard. I used to dread the first 5 minutes on the stairmaster (not even the stair MONSTER... just the basic stair master!) because I would be SO exhausted and gasping for air just to get through that 5 minute warm up!

If I would have given up back then, I would never be where I am today. I had to WANT it more than I wanted a Chipotle burrito, or an extra hour of tv, or a bag of skittles.

Now, I realize, and I am constantly grateful, that I had the opportunity to get in serious shape like this with a trainer, and a top of the line gym. I often think about how things would be so different if I had a job that required late hours, or kids to take care of. Dan very generously allowed me to spend about a grand a month on this, which could have been money that we spent on BOTH of us, not just me. That's how much HE believed in me too.

But, you can equip yourself with a personal chef, trainer, gym, masseuse, any of that stuff and if you still don't initiate that MENTAL part, then you'll fail miserably. In the end, YOU decide what goes into your body, and what you choose to do with your body to promote LIFE and living to the fullest. When I'm running, I focus on the feeling of power and strength in my legs, and how grateful I am that God has given me that strength. Our bodies are perfectly designed to move, lift, squat, and push through more than we usually give ourselves credit for. I think about my life 50 years from now, and how I'm sure I'll never say, "man, I wish I hadn't spent so much time strengthening my body and taking care of my health. I should have watched more tv!" LOL

I'd love to hear from my readers, and hear more about what motivates YOU and what your goals are for your health!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...